This map should be taken with a grain of salt. It is primarily a learning activity for me.
How I made this map
- Downloaded Anne Arundel Elementary School District Shapefile from Anne Arundel County Open Data website.
- Uploaded Files to MapShaper. Used MapShaper tools to simplify school districts so they will load faster. Exact boarders are not important for this map. Downloaded simplified Anne Arundel County Public Schools elemenary school districts.
- Uploaded simplified shapefile to Datawrapper. As a new choropleth map.
- Added data about Anne Arundel County Public School elementary school cases as of September 14, 2021 and reported on their data dashbaord. Not all elementary school districts had data listed. I entered no data went data was not reported. This results in a grayed out section of map. The “tooltips” do not work for these sectors. Alteratively I could enter “N/A” however when I tried that solutuion the areas ended up colored.
- Adjusted visualization on Datawrapper. Published map. Embeded map on this website.
Total Reported PubliC Elementary School Cases
Total cases represents active student and teacher/staff cases as of September 14, 2021.
These notes are taken from the Anne Arundel County Public Schools data dashboard.
1. The tables on this page reflect positive cases, confirmed by testing, with an onset date of September 8, 2021, or later that have been made known to Anne Arundel County Public Schools. Schools/Offices with zero student or staff cases do not appear in the tables. The data also includes cases of COVID-like symptoms in which a person is not tested for a period of 48 hours after onset of symptoms, and probable cases, which occur when an individual with a COVID-like symptoms is found to have close contact with someone who is COVID-19 positive. Such cases are treated as if they are positive for COVID-19 in terms of identification of close contacts and potential exposures. Cases that appear on this dashboard and are later determined to be false positives or the like will be deleted in subsequent updates.
2. An “active case” is one in which the individual who tested positive is still under 10-day quarantine.
3. A positive case, COVID-like symptoms case, or probable case does not mean the individual exposed others at school or work, or that the individual contracted the virus at school or work.
4. Students enrolled in virtual-only learning and who are not part of any extracurricular activities are not included in this data.
5. Due to differences in reporting methodology, this information may not match the data presented by the Maryland Department of Health.
3 thoughts on “Total Reported Public Elementary School Cases by District”